1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20 cm round ring cake pan.
2) Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar and butter for 6 minutes or until mixture is pale and fluffy. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and clean the bowl of the electric mixer.
3) Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl, then working in batches, fold through yolk mixture, alternating with passionfruit pulp. Place egg whites in the cleaned bowl of the electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites through passionfruit mixture in 2 batches.
4) Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan.
5) Meanwhile, to make passionfruit syrup, place passionfruit pulp, sugar and 125 ml water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until passionfruit mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool completely.
6) Turn out cake onto a serving plate and drizzle with passionfruit syrup. Cut and serve.
· 1 cup plain and 1 cup wholemeal flour (for low GI and fibre)
· Used 190 g sugar for the cake and 70 g for the syrup (it still turned out really sweet)