As usual, I asked my dad what kind of cake he’d like. He initially said “plain cake.” After further pressing, he gave me three ingredients he would like on the cake sultanas (they are his favourite), almonds and crystallised ginger.
1) Preheat oven to 180 C
2) Grease springform pan with baking paper
3) Melt butter in a saucepan, add sultanas and cook for 10 mins or until sultanas have softened
4) In a bowl, sift flour, spices and sugar
5) Add crystallised ginger, tossed with 1 TB of plain flour
6) Mix eggs, milk and vanilla essence
7) Gradually add egg mix into the flour
8) Fold in sultans and butter mix
9) Pour batter into pan
10) Sprinkle with flaked almonds
11) Bake for 35-40 mins or until firm, test with skewer
12) Cool on a rack and enjoy!
Note: ideally, I would use margarine but I like to use butter for Dad’s special day cakes because that’s what he prefers 🙂
Sultana, almond and spiced crystallised ginger cake